Spirit and Ruth Overflow

This article is based on a talk given on Trinity Sunday 2021.

A couple walk into a cheap looking restaurant. As they were about to sit down they noticed there were crumbs on the seat. After cleaning up the seat and wiping down the table they sat down. A waitress comes over asking them what they want. “I’ll just take a coffee” says the man. “Me too” says the lady, “and make sure the cup is clean.” The waitress returns with their drinks. “Okay” she said, placing their cups down, “now, which one of you wanted the clean cup?”

Dirty-empty-blue-cup-848826.jpg

It’s not always possible to consider every possible outcome, just like this man didn’t realise he needed to ask for a clean cup.

In the first verse of the second chapter of Ruth, we get a sneaky peek into the future. It’s a spiritual perspective, giving us insight into what God is thinking.

There was a relative of Naomi’s husband, a man of great wealth, of the family of Elimelech. His name was Boaz.
Ruth 2:1 (NKJV)

Even though Ruth doesn’t know about Boaz yet, we already get this sense of excitement because of her perspective on life. She doesn’t need to know what is coming, she just knows that Naomi’s God is good and she has shown herself to be single-minded in her pursuit to bring happiness to Naomi.

In the next part of the story, we find out that she has learnt from Naomi that one of the good things that God has done for his people is to make a way for those without to gather food. This is God’s version of the benefits system, and it’s even open to complete strangers: when reapers gather up the grain from the field during harvest time, they are told to leave behind anything that falls on the floor for others to gather up.

So Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, “Please let me go to the field, and glean heads of grain after him in whose sight I may find favor.” And she said to her, “Go, my daughter.” Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. And she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.
Ruth 2:2-3 (NKJV)

As we already know from the first verse, Boaz was a man of great wealth.

Based on how much wealthier Bill Gates got in the past year, he makes approximately $1,300 per second. It is often said it would not be worth his time to stop and pick up a $100 bill that he dropped on the ground. Of course, this is pre-divorce settlement.

Let’s imagine that you had heard that Bill Gates was actually notorious for dropping money on the floor regularly, in fact it was around one $100 bill per hour. You start to follow him around to pick them up. Now $100 an hour is pretty good going. But imagine if Bill then spots you and talks to you about what you are doing.

Would he be angry? I doubt it. It’s not worth his time. Would he be impressed at your work ethic? Possibly. Would others notice that he stopped to talk to you? Probably.

It’s a silly example, but even in the world's way of thinking, get in the right company and things could suddenly start getting a lot better very quickly.

Now behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said to the reapers, “The Lord be with you!”
And they answered him, “The Lord bless you!”
Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Whose young woman is this?”

Ruth 2:4-5 (NKJV)

Boaz’s workers clearly saw how blessed Boaz is, and soon what seemed to be just a little trickle becomes a great wave of blessing that overflows from God, through Boaz, to Ruth.

Just like God created his system to alleviate poverty in the time of Ruth, he has an even more amazing system for us now. As Spirit-filled believers, it is possible for us to know what the will of God is for our lives. And, when we are single-minded in following God’s will, and stop worrying about the cares of this world, we move into God’s overflow, just like Ruth did.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Matthew 6:33 (NKJV)

When Jesus says “all these things”, he was referring to everything and anything that we need or want. Being truly blessed is living life without any worries, and being so blessed that God's blessings overflow through us, in order that we can be a blessing to others. And it all starts from being stable in seeking and following God's will for your life.

Be stable and stay blessed.

Similar articles